Thursday 9 June 2011

A creative side to life

I think everyone has a creative side to them. It is just a matter of how you express it, that makes us all unique.

Some people like to dress themselves up in flamboyant clothing while others like to do fancy things in the garden. For me it is stitching and sewing beautiful things, mostly other people's designs but I make them my own with my choice of fabric and embellishments.

This year I have decided to embark on a project that I thought I would have attempted years ago, but as many say, time didn't permit and priorities fell elsewhere.

Well I have finally started this project and that is to make my children's clothes.

Why? You ask. Well simply for the challenge and also to be able to have some control over what they get to wear without having to pay for overpriced, not so good quality garments that could last only one wash because they shrink.

I have an ever growing stash of fabric that up until now, grew and grew and didn't shrink as much. Because of this project, I get to use this fabric that I have collected and very appropriately make beautiful clothes for my children.

Here is the list so far ...

Miss 8

5 Sandbox pants (Oliver + s ) in black for school
2 Sandbox pants in corduroy
2 Sketchbook shorts (Oliver + s) lengthened to pants in denim and corduroy.
4 Music class shirts (Oliver + s) long sleeved and in a size 12
3 Music class skirts - 2 in corduroy and one denim
2 Hopscotch (Oliver + S) skirts - one corduroy and one denim
and at least 5 Hopscotch tops all in Stella Knit fabric with the exception of two in Moda City Weekend interlock.
Nature walk (Oliver + s) pants in black for dancing.
And Nature walk tops as jumpers - 2 of those
Pyjamas which will probably be a Nature walk and Hopscotch combination in Stella knit - probably purple.

The young master (age 5)

5 Sandbox pants in black for school
4 Sandbox pants in corduroy and denim
2 Sketchbook trousers in some sort of winter fabric to which I haven't decided yet.
3 Sketchbook shirts at least
and an abundance of shirts made using the t-shirt pattern from Ottobre Design
Nature walk tops as jumpers - 2 at least
and probably a pair of Nature walk pants to dance in also.
Pyjamas will be a combination of Nature walk pants and Ottobre tops but also using a pants pattern to accommodate some much adored Thomas the Tank Engine fabric.

Some is already done but others are still way way down the wish list. As I progress I will fill you in and share and show the finished (or in progress) products.

No comments:

Post a Comment