Monday 14 September 2015

A quilted bedtime story

Chloë uses a sleeping bag to sleep in but it is not easy making sure she is warm all night without a few changes during the night.

When it gets below 18 degrees celsius, she is supposed to have a sleepsuit with padded arms. We don't have one of those!

I had always wanted to try adapting a pyjama pattern to accommodate padding in the sleeves. So after making a pair of bedtime story pyjamas and finding them very straight forward, I decided this was the pattern to use in my experiment.

I used some left over battig from some finished quilts to make the sleeves. I used the flannelette print for the top and another plain colour flannelette for the underneath and sandwiched the batting inbetween. The sewing was just straight lines, nothing fancy.

Because the sleeve is basically a rectangle it was very simple to put together.


The result is a warmer pair of pyjamas!


2 comments:

  1. They look very cozy! The part about needing to wear certain pajamas when it gets below 18 degrees - is that your own personal threshold or does it come from somewhere? I'm curious now that our nights are getting cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Masha, the grobag is what we use and it has a little temperautre gauge and dressing indications for the temperature, including how warm the sleeping bag should be (we mainly use the 2.5 tog). I use this as it is SIDS compliant and really aids me in knowing how to not overheat Chloë when I am dressing her for sleeptimes. They recommend the room to be between 16 and 20 degrees c, with the use of a grosuit with padded sleeves at 18 degrees. Since we don't have one, we improvise with using our pyjamas over a long sleeved bodysuit along with socks. I still have to heat the room though as it gets cold if I don't. Hope this helps you in preparing for your baby's first winter.

      Delete